2012. augusztus 2., csütörtök

Three songs for the summer

The contrabasser strikes back

I recently had the chance to get to know Zaz, this once street jazz singer, nowadays popular artist touring the world. Once my enthusiasm was over, I realized how much the double bass player and guitarists are shaking up her performance (also it'd be unfair to call it her performance). Youtube was kind enough to guide me to a comment which was made by the double bass player (coincidence, huh Monika?). Fast enough I ended up at his myspace, and although couldn't find much, I was really proud to find something new that makes me listen to it over and over. Mathieu Verlot, ladies and gentlemen: click on the link and browse through his tracks, my fav is Bossa Dorado, which would surely fit a hot summer night.

Be cool

Each summer needs a song that immortalizes the image of beaches, girls, cocktails and relaxation (and all combined). The topic is weary enough, but let us admit we all need a chillin' song for the hangovers, for sitting by the pool, or just trying to survive during the dog days. I present you Poolside, which caught my attention thanks to my second couchsurfer, Matthieu (thanks again for it). It doesn't take to be a genius to realize they play exactly the genre described above: simple, groovy, simple, chilling, and simplicity again. Slow down, says the title and we obey: put it on repeat and beggin' the chillin'!


That bass!

Time after time I'm getting weakened and let r'n'b and rap flow into my days and weeks. Normally it only occurs while working out: nothing is better for one more push up then some beats brought by Dr. Dre. But sometimes it just happens that I hear a bass beat and I can't get it out of my head. The same happened with No Church in the Wild by Kanye West. I didn't want to like it, but it slipped through the barriers of my snobbery, and hit the bullseye. "Fat black beat" as we call it with friends; hope you like it.


Originally I wanted to write about the brand new Frusciante album, but I truly and desperately feel it's a disgrace. Maybe some other fans will educate me about it; looking forward to it. Until then, be good to each other, watch the Olympics, and read the blog! New posts are on the horizon, including a little phylosophical one on Kundera's Unbearable Lightness of Being which I lately finished reading. So prepare and enjoy the rest of the summer!

2 megjegyzés:

  1. I could be listening to poolside again and again...Just one word about Zaz. She's french and believe me, the lyrics are as smart as teenage stupid singer . You're kind of lucky not to understand them. That's maybe why she's more famous abroad then in France now ! haha.
    Anyways, glad you liked poolside, and i will listen to mathieu verlot (who seems to be french ;) ).

    Enjoy your summer peter, and you know you're always welcomed in strasbourg !

    sziastok :)

    matthieu

    VálaszTörlés
  2. I didnt know about the lyrics part- too bad I never took my french lessons serious :)
    it seems like our ways are parting, since im going to turkey in two weeks, but i wish i can go to strasbourg asap! :)

    VálaszTörlés