2014. július 22., kedd

Obituary

No worries, it's no big deal.

It's not someone close to me who died. People, eventually die anyway, anytime, anywhere. 
Though not all worth an obituary. 

Hard to start this, really. Firstly, writing this in English veils me under the cloak of anymosity. At least that's how it feels to talk about a friend who has passed away a few days ago.

I lied again. It was not directly my friend, but my dad's.

He was a talented winemaker, living in the Badacsony wine region with his family. Obviously, my main interest during my childhood was his younger son and their huge, huge garden that resembled more a piece of wilderness than a garden. We took the ferry, and they could see us from their terrace as we crossed the lake. 

My friend was a reckless, rural kid, whilst I was the epitome of citylife: pompous until faced a countryside challenge. 

Countryside challenges were numerous and various things, let me list a few to get the gist:

- Finding a mysterious alien-like creature at night which turned out to be my friend
- Building canals for a speedboat race in the backyard
- Building underground tunnels to get the shit scared out of me with jump-scares from my friend
- Talking about sex (I was 8ish so this was an obvious novelty AND challenge)

Good days.

Then the mob evicted them. He liked their house. They had to go. They lived in a cave for a week: father, mother, two kids. And the dog. Shortly after they moved close to the Danube. The mother got cancer but she was cured. Some years were spent, and we totally lost contact with them.

Few years later, they moved to Budapest. Dad's friend had become a heavy drinker. He lost his passion, his interest in life (winemaking) eventually. My childhood friend had gone to Afghanistan. I always knew he was the brave one. 

We even met a few times the past years. It was serious men talk between me and my friend; and pseudo-optimistic talk between our fathers. His dad was diagnosed with lung cancer.

He, surprisingly (had been a chain smoker and never gave up) healed.

Then, half year before it infected his brain. He had a tumor in his brain, and the lung cancer came back as well. Dad called me three days ago that he passed when my friend and his family were visiting him.

Fuck all who complain about how unjust life is. 

(...)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése